RHS Level 1 Award in Practical Horticulture
The Cheadle College
This qualification helps learners to begin to develop their horticultural knowledge, learn essential horticultural skills and prepares them to progress towards level 2 and 3 qualifications.
The qualification consists of six units covering the following subject areas:
- Preparing soil for sowing and planting (1 credit)
- Assist with the propagation of plants from seed (2 credits)
- Assist with the vegetative propagation of plants (3 credits)
- Assist with planting and establishing plants (3 credits)
- Soil testing (1 credit)
- Identification of a range of common garden plants, weeds, pests and diseases (1 credit)
When does it run? Mondays 10:00am – 2:00pm
Why choose it? As this is an industry wide recognised qualification it is not only for those who want to improve their gardening knowledge, but also those who want to enter into or progress within the horticulture industry.
What skills do I need? An enthusiasm for gardening.
How will I learn? Assessment is by means of a range of practical activities.
- People of all ages who have a passion for plants and gardening
- Anybody wanting to make the most of their allotment
- Someone who is already working in gardening or the horticultural industry and would like a formal qualification
- Those interested in a career change
- Those who have retired and want to start a new hobby
Any other useful information? A wide selection of reference material is available for use in the classroom and many books are available to borrow from the college library. All required tools are available for practical sessions, but learners may find it useful to have their own gloves and secateurs. Safety shoes or boots must be provided and worn by learners for all practical sessions. This course is part funded and leads to a qualification. If you are entitled to fee remission you will not pay any fees and you may be able to obtain financial support from the Learner Support Fund towards costs such as travel, equipment, stationery etc. Please ask at enrolment if you would like further information